Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Rough Legged Hawk

We had such a neat experience today. We have been watching this hawk living here on the park this winter. The only problem is that we were not able to identify it. It was always too far away and all you could see was the white breast. We knew that it was not a Red Tailed hawk because they don't usually have a white chest. We kept seeing this silly hawk perched everywhere. It was like he was teasing us.

On the way home from piano today, we started to pull into my drive and my 8yo said, "Mom, Look!" I looked up and right in front of me was this hawk. I was really excited. We sat there for a while and watched it. it was like he was posing for us. I ran home and grabbed my camera. I also got the bird books, binoculars and my husband. We sat at the top of the drive and watched this bird. He moved around and I was able to get several different views of him. After quite some time, we decided that it was a Rough Legged Hawk.

We were excited that we finally figured out what this bird was. Now we need to go home and draw it in our nature journals. When I look at birds and flowers I can't help but think that when God created them, He was saying "Look what I can do!" He didn't have to make the birds and flowers so beautiful. He could have made them bland and just functional. He could have put them on Earth just to do their jobs of pollinating or rodent control, but He didn't. He gave us something to look at and to study. What a mighty God we serve. Thank you God for everything you have created. How majestic you are.

1 comment:

Rebecca Knox said...

I guess I never did comment on these photos of the rough-legged hawk, Gayla, but these are beautiful pictures! What an awesome sighting! TTYL!

Love,
~Becca