Thursday, June 5, 2008

I remember...


When I married my husband, I acquired a wonderful set of in laws. My father in law was tops in my book. He really made me think outside the box about many things that I had never even considered. He was always challenging me with different things. One of the things that he introduced me to was the beauty of nature. I remember helping him plant Iris and other plants. He was always patient with me and answered all of my never ending questions. I helped him weed his many flower beds. He was just a great teacher in all areas and always looked out for everyone. I remember a time when I was wanting to spray paint something. I was pregnant with my first child. Keith gently walked over to me and asked to see the paint can. He read the back of it and then told me that he didn't want me painting. He had someone else do it. He was concerned for my health and the safety of my unborn child. I had not even thought about it. I figured that I was outside and that it would be ok, but he was really insistent about it. I talked with him for hours and hours at a time. He never ceased to amaze me in his knowledge about almost everything. He helped me find out about my ancestoral history. I grew up thinking that I was Irish, but found out that I am actually Scottish. No wonder I never wanted to wear green on St. Patrick's Day. hehe. The picture above is one of his roses that he planted. This year it was absolutely beautiful. I had to capture it in picture. We had to say good bye to Kieth in 1994, just 5 months after my first child was born. Keith went to be with Jesus. Even though he has been gone for 13 years, it is still as if we lost him yesterday. What a priviledge I had to have six wonderful years with him. I miss him and can't wait to see him in Heaven.

1 comment:

Rebecca Knox said...

What a beautiful rose, Gayla! Thanks for sharing Keith's irises and peonies with me.

Love,
~Rebecca