Saturday, August 1, 2009

Basil Pesto----A Family Favorite



Nothing makes my family smile quicker than to tell them that we are having spaghetti with pesto for dinner. That being said, my husband makes sure that he plants plenty of basil every year right next to the tomatoes. So, this morning I told him that I had the ingredients to make pesto and could he please bring me in some fresh cut basil. Man.... I wasn't expecting what happened next. My daughter came packing in FOUR bags of basil. We started picking leaves off the stems and we picked and picked and picked. I had huge bowls of it. We put up pesto for several hours and still didn't get it all finished. We just got tired. So, after all this, I thought I would share my recipe with you. I have found the best basil to use is the Genovese Basil. It is the basil that has the large leaves.


Fresh Basil Pesto :

2c lightly packed fresh basil leaves

2 cloves of garlic

3 TBS walnuts or pinenuts

1/3c Parmesean cheese, finely grated

1/3c extra virgin olive oil


Place basil, garlic, nuts and cheese into a food processor. Chop on high for about 20 seconds or

until chopped well. While the processor is on, slowly infuse the olive oil. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated well. Serve on toast or pasta. Enjoy.


5 comments:

Lylah Ledner said...

We have so much basil growing in my garden....MUST make basil! Great post...and you're so kind to follow me....I hope I can inspire you and encourage you as you live before your Audience of One...

May He bless you richly today and may you find His sweet tender surprises at every turn...

Lylah

Anonymous said...

My family loves your basil pesto. It is our favorite too. Thank you for posting your recipe.

Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage said...

Hi Gayla,
My husband planted lots of basil. Your recipe sounds good. You said you had lots of it. How do you preserve it? I've not made pesto before.

Laura
P.S. Please let me know at my blog or by e-mail if you answer here. I'd really appreciate it.

Tiggertamer said...

Is basal, garlic and pine nuts reall good on toast? I usually use something sweet. :0)

Gayla's musings said...

Thank you all for such great comments. Actually Mom, basil pesto is GREAT on toast. It is a great snack when you don't have pasta cooked and ready to go. Laura, I am still trying to figure out how to preserve it other than drying it or making pesto. I am not sure if you can freeze it or not. I have heard that you can but not too sure of the quality of the leaves after they are thawed out. I would think they would be limp and mushy. I don't do mushy. Yuck. Anyway, I will find that out and post it on here for all.
Gayla