Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Gearing Up for School

August is here and that means that Wal Mart has moved out the July 4th decorations and moved in the school supplies (usually on July 5th) in their place. Families are taking their last summer vacations before school starts. (That is why we wait until the fall to take ours... not as many people to contend with). Anyway, for the past week I have been working on my school year plans. Making out lesson plans and such. I thought I was finished when I realized that I did not have a "World History" lesson planned out for my oldest. The think about it is he has been studying world history since he was 9, but the State of Missouri says that to graduate, he has to take a World History class. So I thought, "Shoot, now I need to go to Springfield and buy a history book for him". As I was talking to my husband about this, it hit me... just because the class says world history does not mean we must cover everything the "text book" would have us cover. I didn't need an actual histsory book. Out came the Time line of History book that I bought years ago. We started looking at main events in history and decided to hit on those and cover WWI and WWII this year. What a concept!

I have been homeschooling for over 10 years now and I still sometimes find myself conforming to the institutional ways of thinking, keeping me bound up in a textbook style of teaching. This does not give us freedom to learn what God wants us to learn. We put God's plan aside. Sometimes He remind me of that. OUCH. Am I the only one who does this? I am getting excited to see what God has instore for our upcoming year.
~Gayla

No comments: