Thursday, September 17, 2009

I feel like an ant.


Today we were up early and headed out to a local Amish farmer who had picked us 50# of beautiful Roma tomatoes. We pulled into the farmer's house and met his lovely wife and Trigger, the little Jack Russell Terrier. He was definitely guarding the house. The young woman just smiled and apologized for her little dog. I told her not to worry because I love dogs. I tried to make friends with this little guy, but he would have none of that. After paying for the tomatoes and beautiful red pepper that she also had for sale, we packed our items in the trunk and off we went back home to start putting up these vegetables in preparation for the coming winter months of soups and spaghetti. Looking at our two boxes of tomatoes, I realized that 50# of Romas are quite a lot, but I knew that it would make up several quarts of tomato sauce, so we started in. It was wonderful to work together with my kids. It was like the ant, preparing for winter. My oldest son spent most of his time coring tomatoes, while my youngest son chopped tomatoes in the processor. I remember working up produce with my mother and grandmother. I am so glad I am able to do the same with my kids. I just wish we had a lot more to do. Maybe next year.
Until next time,
~Happy Blogging.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

It sounds like you and your kids had a grand time with your tomatoes. We've been having all kinds of tomato fun at our house, too, making soups, pasta sauces, dehydrating tomatoes, etc. We overdid it this year and planted 7 tomato plants, and they are all thriving! Yikes, that's a lot of tomatoes! Hope your canning goes well and you enjoy the results of your hard work all winter.

proverbs31heart said...

We didn't get to do a lot of gardening this year, but I've enjoyed putting up what little bit we have gotten. I'm already looking forward to next year, and am hoping that we actually get to enjoy it. Nice photos! :)